30. april 2010

New School vs. Old School

Im a bit confused on this topic. I mean, some ol' tracks like LL Cool J's "Hey Lover" - I consider songs like that to be Old School.

But check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_school_hip_hop

Yea, appearently New School'ism started out with RUN D.M.C & LL Cool J and those other guys. I never listened to these musicians a lot, but i figure their music was in some way or another revolutionary and broke with the old traditions of Hip Hop or something along those lines. What i would call OLD OLD OLD OOOLD SCHOOL is considered to be New School.
Anyway i'm writing this, with hope, of getting to know my terms a little better. I call everything that i used to listen to as a child "Ol' School". At wich time will something that used to be new school, become old school, and what type of music will take over the new school role?

De La Soul; I used to listen to De La Soul when i was younger. I consider them ol' school. Listening to their music gives me a kind of journey back in time. I think of all the summers i spent playing in the streets with childhood friends. Waterguns, strawberries, blue sky, birds, my first kiss ect. If you like Hip Hop music that gives you that summerish feeling you've been waiting the entire winter, check this one out:



De La Soul - Eye Know;

I must admit; I don't listen to a lot of De La Soul, usually, but, even if I rarely pop a song like this out my speakers, I really enjoy the music when i finally do though.

So, speaking about New School. I would love to share my opinions on whatever New School is, but i'm just so damn confused. I would'nt want to post anything that people would consider to be Ol' School, but at the same time i'm not the biggest Lil' Wayne or T-Pain fan.
Although, you might have heard of him or heard his music, Adam Tensta have managed to implement the electronic youth feel into bangin' Hip Hop tracks mixed with Tensta's talent on the microphone; creates one hell of a party:



If you're an expert on the topic, comment on this, and help me clear my mind on this subject.
Thanks!

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar